Australasia's new must-visit holiday destinations
The best holiday destinations in Australasia have been revealed, with the World Travel Awards handing out its gongs for 2016.
Solving the vexed question of where to go on your next short-haul holiday, a number of properties both in Australia and around the region were recognised in the awards, which were being presented for the 23rd time.
Gaia Retreat and Spa on the NSW north coast won Australasia’s “best boutique hotel” for the second consecutive year, and goes on to contest with 21 others for the title of the world’s best boutique hotel in December.
The region’s leading boutique island resort was collected by Fiji’s Taveuni Palms Resort, which was last year named the world’s leading luxury boutique island resort.
Australasia’s leading boutique resort is the Pacific Resort Rarotonga on the Cook Islands, which has won the same award for the past two years and also was named the region’s leading family resort.
Other notable results:
- Australasia’s leading hotel: The Windsor, Melbourne
- Australasia’s leading business hotel: InterContinental Sydney
- Australasia’s leading conference hotel: Crown Towers, Melbourne
- Australasia’s leading casino resort: Sky City, Auckland
- Australasia’s leading luxury hotel villa: The Residence @ The George Christchurch
- Australasia’s leading new hotel: Elements of Byron, Byron Bay
- Australasia’s leading private island retreat: Laucala Island, Fiji
- Australasia’s leading resort: Pacific Resort Aitutaki, Cook Islands
- Australasia’s leading serviced apartments: Fraser Suites, Sydney
- Australasia’s leading spa resort: InterContinental Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Australasia’s leading villa resort: Eagles Nest, New Zealand
- Australasia’s most romantic resort: The Remote Resort, Fiji