Paul Newman’s Rolex Daytona Tops Phillips’ Sale
The auction also included Steve McQueen’s Heuer, which sold for over $2.9 million.
A Rolex Daytona owned by Paul Newman sold today for approx. $7,246,000 at “Racing Pulse,” a New York auction by Phillips in Association with Bacs & Russo. It was a gift from his wife, Joanne Woodward, and bears the inscription “Drive slowly, Joanne” on the caseback. Although it didn’t come close to Newman’s Daytona sold in 2017 for around $23.56 million, it was still a notable hammer price, especially given the current climate.
The sale also included a Heuer Monaco ref. 1133, owned by Steve McQueen, which sold for around $2,922,000—more than 10 times its estimate, setting a world record for any Heuer. McQueen, who wore it in the famed ’70s flick Le Mans, gifted it to his trusted mechanic, Haig Alltounian, after filming ended. It’s inscribed to him on the caseback along with the message “Thank you for keeping me alive all these months.” Paul Boutros, Phillips senior vice-president and head of the New York watch department, says he first heard about it in 2018, and met several times with Alltounian in the hope of bringing it to auction. “People love watches with stories to tell,” he says. “They want to own watches worn by their heroes.”
There were plenty of other hero trophies in the provenance-heavy auction. Aside from the Newman and McQueen relics, it included pieces owned by Sylvester Stallone, John Lennon, Andy Warhol, HRH Prince Albert of Monaco, Shark Tank’s Kevin O’Leary, Bono, HRH Prince Albert of Monaco and Guy Laliberté, the founder of Cirque du Soleil.
Not one to be shown up, Stallone sold five of his tough-guy timepieces, which went for a combined approx. $4,125,910 (more than three times the estimate). Most famous was the Panerai Luminor he wore in the film Daylight. The model is widely credited with launching the modern Panerai brand in the 1990s and sold for approx. $283,495. The other four were all by Richard Mille, including the RM 032 Stallone wore in the film The Expendables III (approx. $1,080,645); an RM 52-01 with a tourbillon bridge shaped like a skull, (around $1,320,000); number 11 of the 50-piece edition RM 59-01 Yohan Blake “Beast” tourbillon, named for the Olympic sprinter ($1,080,6000); and the ultra-complicated RM 25-01 Adventure Tourbillon Chronograph designed to answer the question, “What watch would Rambo wear?” (approx. $1,240,790).
But in keeping with the spirit of the holiday season, eleven watches, grouped under the banner “Time Counts,” raised around $2,789,000 for the One Drop Foundation, a charity that provides clean water in disadvantaged communities. A Rolex Daytona Ref. 116500LN owned by O’Leary, known as “Mr. Wonderful” of Shark Tank fame, sold for around $75,000, while a Jaeger-LeCoultre owned by Bono, which he had gifted to his father and then inherited, hammered in at approx. $80,000. Several Audemars Piguets were also on offer including one from Prince Albert of Monaco (around $216,700) and four Grand Complication models, all of the same reference but in different case metals, owned by Cirque du Soleil founder Guy Laliberté. The four spectacular skeletonized pieces sold for a combined total of approx. $2,300,600, including a pink gold version that was one of only four made and a rare stainless steel version that was one of only five made. Both sold for arou nd $667,000.
The spotlight on provenance overshadowed the other lots in the sale, but a few stand out as noteworthy: A Rolex ref. 5517 military issued Submariner made in 1977 sold for around $750,000; a Patek Philippe ref. 3448 perpetual calendar Padellone made in 1967 in unusually good condition (the favourite lot of Paul Boutros) sold for around $700,000; and an F.P. Journe ref. R Chronomètre a Rèsonance “Souscription” number 4 of 20 sold for $533,600. Finally, in what might be considered the bargain of the sale, a Patek Philippe ref. 1518 sold for approx. $667,000. It’s a rare example of Patek’s first perpetual calendar chronograph, of which only 218 were made. According to Phillips, 90 per cent of 1518s are either damaged or have been obviously touched up over time. The other 10 per cent, including this one, are in near pristine, original condition.
The Phillips “Racing Pulse” sale grossed a total of $36.5 million.